Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Inspired by Beate ~

I am hoping you've noticed along my blog roll that one of my favorites is Cloudberry Knits, written by Beate, a delightful and creative gal that lives far from my back yard...yet I visit her most days...through the magic of blogging. If you haven't visited Beate yet, please do, you'll love her as she makes you smile with her knitting, her flowers, her bike rides and her travel. I'll wait while you pop over there.....

She has bestowed an award upon me, and a challenge to state seven things not known about myself.....Yikes........ here goes....(I'll wake you up at the end, as these may be snoozers...)

1. I learned to crochet in grade school, taking a class at the Community Center of my home town. I remember that "snoods" were the rage, putting the crocheted snood over ones' hair bun. Eh gads....remember these?

2. Our wedding reception was also held in the Community Center of my home town (I did not wear my hair in a snood).

3. I can't recall exactly how and when I learned to knit, but I knit a few sweaters while living in Colorado for almost a year. I was inspired by my sweet Grandma Agnes who knit mohair and cobweb lace and all of our Christmas Stockings. All of her grand kids still hang ours by the fireplace each year ~ they are classic and amazing reminders of the skill that exists in our past. I often think of Grandma Agnes and know that she's with me as I knit.

4. (do I really need seven?) Before knitting the sweaters in Colorado, I was knitting a very lacy white square neck sweater, and showed it to Grandma Agnes, and she held up the front to my front and could not stop laughing as the square neck went past both shoulders ~ too big for even my Dad to wear (6 foot plus of him)....something about checking gauge that I missed...and all of her 4 foot 8 inch height laughed and laughed as she ripped it out for me...as she knew it would be too painful. Her wisdom, "If you're not going to check gauge, then make your knitting a color that your Dad would wear." My next sweater was grey.....crew neck... just in case....

5. I have fuchsia mohair of Grandma Agnes in my stash ~ its lovely ~ I'm not sure I'll ever be able to knit it. I've often wondered where her needles are ~ she was an amazing knitter.

6. I crocheted up a storm in college, once I lived off campus. Blankets for me and my roommates, and wedding gifts and baby blankets...crazy acrylic yarn and I loved it.

7. I feel a compulsive urge to finish projects...any one's projects will do....why is that?

1 comment:

Torhild Reidardatter said...

:-) thank you for playing along.
I loooove the sweather story- poor you. Well like me you learn the hard way ( sometimes:-)
And thank you for you kind words- We should live closer - right??