Sunday, August 3, 2014

Special hats ~ Special kids ~

I cast on my first of several hats for some special kids.  Detroit Achievement Academy has approximately 90 kids that need warm wool hats and mittens this winter. The school has kindergarten, first, second and third grades.
One of their teachers is my niece. She told me how rough their winter was last year and asked me if there was a way that I could knit hats and mittens for her class of 20 third graders. Once I talked to some others in our wonderful Eastside Stitchers group on Ravelry, they said we should try to knit hats and mittens for the entire school - for now, we are starting with the 3rd graders.
Their school colors are navy and white so we are keeping to these colors so all the kids feel that they are all getting equitable knitwear. It is cold and snowy in Detroit. The kids play outside a lot, plus walk to and from school. All wool/alpaca is preferred, as acrylic isn’t as warm. I’m not worried about superwash as I don’t think there will be much washing of hats/mittens.  This first hat happens to be superwash, as I have this yarn in my stash.

No comments: