Saturday, April 23, 2011

Power of Knitting ~

I received this simple email from a lovely sweet lady I know from our church:
My daughter is undergoing chemo for breast cancer and has already lost most of her hair. She saw a knit hat on someone last week that had cat ears, nose and whiskers on it. Do you have any idea where to get a pattern like that? Well, it happens that I know Ravelry, so I sent her some links to some hats that might fit this description. I cast on in a lovely and soft grey merino/bamboo, as I knew that she doesn't knit, and emailed her that I would be happy to knit a cat hat for her daughter. I'm busy with work, home, kids and "all things in my world" but I'm not fighting cancer, nor is one of my daughters fighting cancer...so knitting a cat hat seemed like a very small effort given the circumstance.....
I received this response:

You have no idea how much this means to me. She and I had not spoken but twice since last September when there was a "blowup" at our other daughter's wedding in SF. As horrible as this disease is, it has brought our family back together and brought my daughter back to me. We text back and forth several times a week (it is easier for her as talking on the phone seems to tire her out more quickly). My heart is nearly at peace again. When I sent her the cat hat picture yesterday, she wrote back, "Wow Mom, you have no idea how very much this means to me!" So, finally I am, through your kindness, able to do something special for her that no one else is doing! It is thrilling for me. She said she is resting lots this week and maybe she will be able to come over on Saturday, when we will celebrate Easter and her daughter's birthday. Keep your fingers crossed. We are so hoping she will be able to join us. I'm sure she will feel she can never have too many cat hats - she loves cats and takes in every one people dump on their road. They don't all stay, or survive the coyotes out there, but she is very much a nurturer. Thank you again for your thoughtfulness and kindness in doing these hats for me and my daughter.
I was speechless......
Do not ever underestimate the power of knitting - even knitting a cat hat.... I encourage you all to share some knitted kindness this holiday weekend of Easter and Earth Day... knitting makes the world a better place...

1 comment:

Caffeine Girl said...

What a kind gesture on your part! I hope that the young woman will be healing as she wears it!