Friday, September 5, 2008

Elementary Peace

I found my way to Peace Fleece by way of my daughter's elementary school. I first heard of Peace Fleece through the podcast Stash & Burn, but none of my knitting friends had ever used it. Only one knitter in our group had seen it, and said it was too rough for her knitting standards. I saw a single skein on EBay named after the name sake of my daughter's school. What better time to try some Peace Fleece? I was the lucky winner of some very old Peace Fleece, the colors still vibrant but the yarn was rough to the touch and label small and faded. With help from another friend, I asked a question on Ravelry about softening yarn before knitting, and received some soaking tips ~ and also received some tips from an amazing knitting instructor at the Sewing Expo in February. I knitted a hat and small scarf for my daughter ~ and wish I had more yarn for a longer scarf! Since this experience I've ordered more Peace Fleece (what a surprise!) and it is newer (different label) and much softer. It felts slowly but nicely, and it is a joy to knit with due to the texture and colors, and the story of peace it conveys. If you have not had your Peace Fleece journey yet, I would recommend one!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

You are nuts! But in a good way!