Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Continental Knitting Class

My sister & I are taking a Continental Knitting class at the Sewing Expo in February. According to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia here is some information on Continental knitting:
Knitting with the yarn in one's left hand is commonly referred to as Continental knitting, German knitting, European knitting, or left-hand knitting. Unlike English knitting, the yarn is held in the left hand; the motion of bringing the yarn forward with a needle held in the other hand is thus sometimes known as picking. Continental knitting is preferred by professional hand-knitters, as it is the more efficient method, requiring the shortest number of specific hand-motions per stitch.
Continental-style knitting, being associated with Germany, fell out of favour in English-speaking countries during World War II; its reintroduction in the United States is often credited to
Elizabeth Zimmerman.

I can carry the yarn in my left hand while doing Fair Isle (taught to me by Ann Bourgeois from Philosophers Wool at the Sewing Expo a few years ago) or 2 color knitting (shown here in my hats) however I do not know how to purl this way, so I am looking forward to some hands on learning!!!

No comments: