Sunday, October 25, 2009

Choosing is hard ~

I'd like to knit my mum an afghan or blanket (not sure the proper definition here) for her to wrap up in when she's in her glassed-in porch. It is a beautiful sunny room where she does a lot of reading and watching the birds enjoy the bird feeders. She also has a great view of her back yard garden there. The blanket she has there now is a sturdy one, knit by my Aunt Ruth, deep hunter green with some cables for interest. It is showing some wearing and pilling, as I think it might be acrylic or acrylic blend of some sort.


I have over 1300 yards of a beautiful blend of alpaca, wool and a wee bit of cashmere and silk, in a lovely grey. Yes, I know what you're thinking, "She'll have to hand wash it" and I think she would anyway...but I'd give her washing instructions.... The yarn is Panache by Knit Picks (yes, another discontinued yarn... my stash is full of discontinued yarn...go figure....)


The pattern has to have some cables or other interesting twist so I don't end the commitment after 4 inches of blanket...Some of my greatest friends have knit blankets, and the all have a nightmare before they are done.... I am trying to avoid any of the nightmares of "bad yarn" or "bad pattern" or "boring pattern" yet I keep searching for the perfect pattern. I've searched Ravelry and found some great baby blankets...but they would require more yarn than I have to convert to an adult size...there are also some afghans there, but they require too much yarn...



So I think the lucky winner might be from the Yarn Girls as there is a blanket pattern that has cables and fits within my yarn amount....


So, prepare for a commitment of casting on soon....

1 comment:

Torhild Reidardatter said...

I like your yarn and pattern.'
It is true- avoide boring- too difficult patterns- should not take too long to knit eather. Big needles.
Looks like you made a great choise.