Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Yarnia Experiment ~

One of the yarn shops we went to in Portland was Yarnia. I've never been to such a shop, and I'm not sure if more than one shop like this exists. They advertise that one can make one's own yarn here, but I didn't realize how exactly until we arrived. The shop is small, yet bursting with many colors and textures of fiber threads, cotton, wool, rayon, alpaca and the shiny stuff called lurex. Debi was very brave and creative, and made great choices to create yarn of green and grey reminiscent of a forest canopy...very inspiring!!!


After being overwhelmed by all the choices of fiber and colors and thickness available, I chose four spools of "ready-made-red" that was supposed to be fingerless gloves...When I arrived home, I wound two spools together, and the other two spools together, and cast on a pair of socks for my daughter, as she requested some red socks...


This yarn is entertaining, as it is new and different. It is very splitty, of course, as it is at least eight strands of merino, lurex, rayon and other threads that are not plied together. After the cast on and increases in the toe, I'm not having any splitting problems...perhaps I'm getting the hang of it, finally!!!

No comments: