Saturday, June 28, 2008

Bitten by the Jitterbug

I'm sure you have a favorite yarn - one you can't resist. A Yarn that calls to you in every color, one that is so soft and smooth, with the perfect twist on the needles - glowing with those colors you can't resist. Jitterbug is that yarn for me. I saw my first skeins of Jitterbug in Sisters Oregon, at the most amazing quilt shop called The Stitchin Post. The shop always has a wonderful array of fabrics and quilts on display and had recently started carrying yarn. What a wonderful surprise to have amazing fabric AND yarn in one shop! There was a basket with about 8 skeins of Jitterbug - the colors were so rich and each skein glowed with a perfect mix of colors. I bought the popsicle color with greens and yellows that day, deciding not to buy all three colors mixes in the basket. I dreamt about the purples that night, so had to go back and get the purples the next day - thankfully there was a skein of purples left, as all the other colors were gone, as it was the BIG quilt show weekend and most of their yarn (and a lot of fabric) was sold out! Note to self: If you see a skein of Jitterbug, buy it immediatly as it might not be there when you return.

I couldn't wait to cast on Jitterbug socks with the popsicle greens, yellows and turquoise. I knew they would be such a great project, a mystery of how the colors would stripe or pool or float or twist. The next weekend when our family went camping, I cast on the Jitterbug socks. I cast on this perfect yarn in one of my all time favorite knitting places. Yes, at the river - early in the morning. A glorious morning at the river, camping with my family and knitting Jitterbug socks. Life is really good....

No comments: