Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Losing Jed ~

We had a bit of sadness over Halloween weekend. We lost our sweet banty rooster, Jed. He died from an unknown cause and he is missed by all of us. He'd lived with us for a day short of two years.

We first learned about the possibility of adopting Jed and his hens while we were in Ocean Shores, just before Halloween in 2007. While I was at work, my sweeties picked up Jed and his hens and brought them to our chicken coup on Halloween. Come to think of it, John named him Jed when he first saw him ~ I'm not sure what his name had been before...when I first saw Jed, I thought he was stunning, worthy of a magazine cover. I knew I'd seen him on calendars already ~ he was a beauty with his long shimmering tail feathers of emerald green and his white plumage around his head!


He didn't crow when he first arrived. His previous family said he didn't make any noise at all. Our Richie soon taught him how to crow (above picture), and Jed had a great crowing sound ~ not as loud as Richie, but forceful all the same. He wasn't aggressive like Richie, yet no one seemed to mess with him.


His ladies stayed with him, and yet their flock seemed to blend with the original flock fairly well.


I still look for him when I visit the coup. I miss him, his sweetness and his regal good looks...