Thursday, July 9, 2009

Chicken run ~

"Chicken Run" not in the movie with the darling chickens, some that even knit... no, these are my chickens running.... Remember the other evening when I let the wee ones out to stretch their legs and take dust baths to get rid of the mites & bugs of the hot weather (since their cage has straw on the floor, and no dust to roll in) and they all went back into the coup at dusk, easy as can be... (video one: major dust bath by the 3 wyandottes)


except Dolley, the skittish one...... well, Dolley has been telling tales to the others, and guess what..... five of the seven would not be caught...they had listened to Dolly's tale of high jinx and adventure, and around the coup they would go.... with me just inches out of reach.... around and around we would go... I tried to catch one with my sweatshirt (sort of like a net) but they are too fast..... (video two: the two brown chicks, Dolley & Aretha, and you can see all the dust coming from the "out of the picture" major dust bath by the 3 wyandottes)


in desperation (and chuckling to myself that I am being bested by 5 chickens!) I walked over to the neighbors where I saw Sam watering the garden, and asked if he would run interference for me.... as we walked back across the street, the two does came bounding into Sam's front yard, and then into ours...perhaps to see if we would be able to catch 5 chickens.... It was much easier with Sam, and we did a lot of laughing at how darn fast they move! We did get them all, with Dolley last... and I think they all "high fived" when she came into the coup!

No comments: