Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Who let the chickens out?

Well, I did.... I let the young chicks out so they could stretch their legs, and I hoped that I'd be able to catch them all once dusk fell. I had to pull them out of their little coup one at a time, as they weren't sure they wanted to come out. The last to pull out, and the most skittish was Dolley, one of the brown chickens. They all bee-lined for the place where they could take dust baths, as they can't do that in their coup... so I watched them and took pictures for about an hour ...




Getting near dusk, I thought it was time to get them back inside. As you can imagine, Dolley was the last to be caught, and hardest to catch. I had deja vu of Rocky in his first movie, chasing chickens in the pen to help his reflexes....I'm not sure if Rocky would have done much better with Dolley... I followed her around the coup, trying to sneak up on her, trying not to startle her into moving too fast... and around we would walk again, and I'd make grabs for her and she'd squirt away, and around the coup we would walk again, and I'd try to corner her and she'd zig & zag, and around the coup we would walk again.....she was one quick chick!

No comments: