Saturday, August 22, 2009

Sock Summit Spins ~

One of the major elements that I saw at the sock summit was drop spindle spinning. Drop spindle spinners seemed to be just about everywhere the knitters were, waiting in lines, eating their snacks, waiting for friends in the market place. Friend Debi even spun during the luminary panel on Sunday. There were several avid spinners in our hotel lobby at any given time, plus one in the hotel bar on Friday night after the sock hop. She had just learned that afternoon and was very good already! I talked to Fiberjoy on Saturday about drop spindles (she is an amazing lady... her work is so inspirational!!!) and listened to her drop spindle spinning demonstration on Sunday. On Saturday, we had a mini-lesson from Kimber from Fiber Optic at The Fold's booth (another amazing lady with lots of creativity to inspire us!) She showed us the techniques and gave us samples of pencil roving to practice with.




As serendipity happens, when The Fold announced Sunday, they were giving away their 2009 Sock Summit Drop Spindles to the first 25 people, I happened to be standing very near their booth....and look what I received!!!



it is so beautiful - a blend of Ewe, Mahogany and...




the spinning on this one was done by Debi, as she learned much faster than I did!!!

1 comment:

kathy b said...

Someday I'll spin. It is on my lifetime list of things to do.
Not ready yet. But I really want to someday. I love spindles.....