Thursday, February 10, 2011

Traveling Palpitations ~

I went to my favorite LYS to see what was new, and to see if there was any yarn there to match my very old Pagewood Farms yarn in my Traveling Woman shawl. One of the amazing knitters that works there, and was also the one that weighed my yarn the week before and thought I might have enough, said I really didn't need more yarn. She took my shawl, and looked at the knitting, and looked at where I was in the pattern, noticed there were no life-lines, and looked at it from side to side....and placed a marker on one of the purl stitches two inches back from where I was.... and calmly pulled the shawl off my needles!

After I sat down and started to breathe into a paper bag...I watched as she ripped and ripped and ripped out the yarn, and didn't stop until she was one row before the row she wanted to begin at. She said she needed to get to the purl back row so she'd be able to put the needle back into the shawl. She was amazing to watch, confident and sure of what she was doing. I told her about my dear Grandma Agnes who had ripped out my first sweater front in white angora that I'd knit so large that it wouldn't have fit my dad...She had said its easier to have someone else do the ripping out of one's projects... she was correct! When Annelie was done ripping and then putting my needle back in, she said, "You're on row 9 of Chart B" and I said, "That's where I was when I came in!" and her reply, "Well, now you have enough yarn to finish this time!" Bless her!

No comments: